“Sharing Food With Another Human Being Is An Intimate Act That Should Not Be Indulged In Lightly.”
Let’s Blog Over These Short Ribs…
These short ribs are incredibly delicious and filled with so much flavor. Ralph loves these so much and since Valentine’s Day is just a couple of days away, this would be the perfect meal for a romantic night in. There’s nothing better than the music playing, a bottle of wine, and most importantly the one you love there with you. If you need help setting the mood of seduction see my post here.
Here’s What You’ll Need
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- Salt to taste Pepper to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- Half head of garlic
- 2 cups full bodied red wine
- 1 32-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, chopped
- Pat short ribs dry and season with salt and pepper.
- Coat a large, nonstick pan with olive oil. Sear the short rib pieces over medium-high heat for about 2-3 minutes on each side or until brown. Transfer short ribs to a bowl.
- Add onions to pan and cook over medium heat for approximately 3 minutes. Once onions are translucent, add garlic and cook for 1 minute; do not brown. Add wine, rosemary, beef broth and tomatoes to the pan one at a time, allowing liquid to partially evaporate before each addition (about 2 minutes).
- Return short ribs to pan, including any juices that might have accumulated in the bowl. Cover and let simmer for 3 hours on low heat to complete the braising process. Remove short ribs from pan and boil the liquid until it is reduced by half, about 10 minutes.
- Serve with creamy mashed potatoes and vegetable of your choice.
A deep hearty red wine such as a Cabernet, Cabernet Franc, or Zinfadel will compliment this dish nicely. My personal preference is a 2014 Cabernet by Robert Craig Winery.
Notes of red currant, floral, blueberry, blackberry, cedar, spice, tobacco, savory herbs, and rascerbrries. Let it sit for about an hour and it will explode with huge aromatic and perfumed fruits. With great depth and intensity, this Cabernet comes out swinging.