“There Are Two Things That Make A Room Timeless; A Sense of History & A Piece of Furniture.” ~ C. Moss
Let’s Blog Over Living Cozier…
So I’m moving into another place and setting things up and still moving out of my condo. Since any new home is a new beginning I really thought about how I wanted my home to feel. The answer is cozy, homey, and welcoming. Since I’ll be welcoming a baby soon, the vibe is so important to me. So peaceful, stress free, kid friendly, but beautiful is on that list too.
When I was packing up my condo, I was lucky enough to have a good group of people to come over and help. With packing up a home you realize how many things you don’t want to bring over to the new place. But as the saying goes – one person’s trash is another’s treasure. Let me just say I had a lot of trash that was treasure to some family and friends.
A question I always receive is how do I fill in space and where I got my eye for design. The answer is simple… My eye for design just flows depending on the space. My tips for making your home cozier:
- Add candles: I love candles. Big, small, all sizes. I especially love to put them in hurricanes. I prefer real candles, but the flameless ones that look real are also a great option. I know Crate & Barrel has some really fantastic ones. It is a candle’s light and beauty that lights a room.
- Layer the rugs. Layering rugs can really cozy up any space and give so much character to a room. It’s like artwork for the floor.
- Add blankets and pillows. Ralph thinks I go a bit overboard with pillows and the throws. It’s amazing how you can throw in some pillows and throw blankets somewhere and change a room entirely.
- Add photos, art, and lamps to your space. This is one you might not instantly think of when it comes to coziness, but as soon as you add family photos, art, and different lamp designs to your walls, shelves, or side tables, you’ll see how it instantly makes your home feel homier.
- Bring life to your space with plants (real or faux) and wood! Wood instantly cozies up any space – whether it’s a chair, a coffee table, or just wood stacked in a fireplace holder next to a fireplace. Plants are another great thing to add to cozy up your space and make it feel homier I prefer faux plants, because my real ones always die. A L W A Y S !
- Books, books, books! I love books, and I love seeing them in the home. I have them on my night stand. They were on Ralph’s nightstand. I have bookshelves filled with them. I cannot have enough books! You can always style books with floral arrangements or candles. It’s always a good touch. Piece of advice – if you walk into someones home and they don’t have books, leave and never speak to them again.